Reconstruction of buildings and public spaces
Due to the low share of green areas in relation to concrete buildings and impermeable areas of roads, parking lots and sidewalks, the newly built parts of the town of Snina belong to the most endangered urban areas against the negative impacts of climate change. High summer temperatures, lower humidity, higher occurrence of allergens in the air, have an adverse effect on the health of the population living in an urban environment.
The rainwater runoff infrastructure system in Snina is solved by connecting to the city sewer. The growth of city districts and their connection to the old city sewerage system causes insufficient outflow of torrential downpours, and in several complicated parts of the city, there is a local accumulation of rainwater on the ground.
The most significant so-called thermal island within the town of Snina includes the central square itself. Due to the small proportion of green vegetation, large impermeable areas and surrounding buildings, this is the busiest urban area, least prepared for the effects of climate change. At the same time, all rainwater is drained directly into the river Cirocha, while the connection of the fountain and irrigation of greenery is drinking water.
By reconstructing buildings and public spaces in harmony with nature, we will increase the resistance of the urban area to overheating and prevent unnecessary runoff of rainwater into the city sewer. Therefore, to achieve this goal, the following investment adaptation measures will be implemented:
- Biotechnical revitalization of the square
- Green extensive roof and insulation of the kindergarten on Dukelských hrdinov kindergarten
- Green extensive roof and insulation of the kindergarten on Perečínska street
- Green extensive roof and insulation of the kindergarten on 1. mája street
- Insulation of the T-18 sports hall
- Rain garden of the kindergarten on Palárikova street
- Rain garden of the kindergarten on Kukučínova street
- Rain garden of the kindergarten on Budovatelská street
- Rain garden of the kindergarten on ČS Armády street
- Rain Garden Domov pokojnej staroby
- Rain garden Sports hall T-18
- Rain garden housing estate on 1. mája street
- Rain garden housing estate on Kukučínova street
- Rain garden housing estate on Komenského street
Biotechnical revitalization of the square on an area of 1000 m2 will achieve a clear improvement of the local microclimate. The share of green vegetation will increase, cooling water elements will be added, as well as elements of small architecture, which will beautify and make the given environment more functional for the inhabitants and visitors of the city.
The planned implementation of rain gardens in the areas of public buildings and urban settlements will prevent unnecessary runoff of rainwater into the sewer. Rain gardens allow the absorption of rainwater and create a good climate in outdoor areas designed for leisure activities for children, youth and our seniors. At the same time, the implementation of green roofs on public buildings will lead to their better resistance to overheating, and thus also contribute to cooling and improving the local climate of the urban area.