Under the SK-Climate program funded by Norway Grants (code ACC02 / 04), the city of Snina received a non-repayable financial contribution for the implementation of the project “Snina – a city that is ready for climate change”, in the total amount of EUR 1,389,200 from the Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014-2021 ( 85%) and the state budget of the Slovak Republic (15%). The project was prepared by the City of Snina in cooperation with the Roman Catholic Parish of the Holy Cross in Snina and the Norwegian Institute for Bioeconomic Research (NIBIO). The project aims to implement adaptive measures to mitigate and adapt to climate change in Snina.
The total expenditure of the project amounts to EUR 1,758,580, of which the expenditure of the city of Snina represents EUR 1,486,100 and the expenditure of the partner of the Roman Catholic Parish of the Holy Cross, Snina EUR 272,480. Co-financing from the city is a total of EUR 355,756 and co-financing from the partner is EUR 13,624. The implementation of the project is planned for 36 months, while co-financing will be ongoing throughout the period.
To achieve the set goal and individual indicators, the project is divided into the following activities, which are:
- Creating an action plan
- Revitalization of parks
- Measures against floods in urban areas
- Reconstruction of buildings and public spaces in harmony with nature
- Energy-saving and smart solutions in Snina
- Publicity and support activities
The project is exceptional in the scope of new investment adaptation measures, which are:
- A new central climate park on the site of the brownfield at the primary school of P. O. Hviezdoslav.
- Biotechnical revitalization of the main square by increasing the share of green vegetation, or by placing water elements of small architecture, on an area of 1000 m2.
- Revitalization of the Historical Park near the manor house and the park near the Domov pokojnej staroby.
- Rain gardens – in the inner blocks of the housing estates on 1. mája, Kukučínova and Komenského streets; in the premises of the Domov pokojnej staroby and the T18 Sports Hall; in the premises of kindergartens on Palárikova, Kukučínova, Budovateľská and Čsl. Army.
- Installation of green roofs and thermal insulation of the buildings of the kindergartens of Dukelských hrdinov and Perečínska.
- Implementation of a dry polder on the Tarnovský stream for flood and water retention measures.
- Construction of a charging station for electric vehicles, as well as charging stations for electric bicycles.
- Complete reconstruction of part of the public lighting RVO 07 on Jesenského street.
- Planting of new tree alleys and tree lines.
- Insulation of Sports Hall T18.
In cooperation with the Roman Catholic parish of the Holy Cross Snina, the implementation of the green roof of the Church Kindergarten of St. Mária Goretti on 1. mája street, as well as participation in the creation of an action plan, publicity and support activities.
The Norway Grants represent Norway’s contribution towards a green, competitive and inclusive Europe. Through the Norway Grants, Norway contributes to reducing social and economic disparities and to strengthening bilateral relations with beneficiary countries in Central and Southern Europe and the Baltics. Norway cooperates closely with the EU through the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA). Together with the other donors, Norway has provided €3.3 billion through consecutive grant schemes between 1994 and 2014. Norway Grants are financed solely by Norway and are available in the countries that joined the EU after 2003. For the period 2014-2021, the Norway Grants amount to €1.25 billion. All projects are co-financed by the State Budget of the Slovak Republic in the amount of 15%.
The priorities for this period are: Innovation, Research, Education, Competitiveness and Decent Work, Social Inclusion, Youth Employment and Poverty Reduction, Environment, Energy, Climate Change and Low Carbon Economy, Culture, Civil Society, Good Governance and Fundamental Rights, Justice and Home Affairs.
If you want to learn more about programs and projects funded by Norway grants in Slovakia, visit www.norwaygrants.sk.
City residents will be informed about the progress of the project in individual activities or meetings of the project team through social networks, a website, as well as press releases in local and national media. The publicity of the project also includes the holding of three conferences, the distribution of information leaflets, the production of a documentary book and a film, as well as the placement of information boards at all places of project implementation.
Recipient: City of Snina, Strojárska 2060/95, 069 01 Snina
The total amount of the project grant: EUR 1,389,200
Start of project implementation: February 27, 2021
Estimated completion date of the project: 26. 02. 2024